Will an UV lens protect my eyesight?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lancs Junior Member • Posts: 34
Will an UV lens protect my eyesight?

Hi,

Through the years, I have had a few problems with UV hitting my eyes, and it's not a fun experience.

I like to take photos with nice light conditions for effect, which means I would like to photo close toward the sun. I am a bit worried that if I see the sun in the camera, it will really hurt my eyes. My solution so far has been to only use the monitor, since it cannot be brighter than all-white.

So I wondered: will a UV filter help protecting my eyesight when looking through the EVF? I have read a few threads on pros and cons with UV filters, but haven't seen this being mentioned.

(And when thinking about what I just wrote, the EVF is a monitor too, right? So the same logic should appear; it can't be brighter than white (?).)

I'm using the Panasonic Lumix GX-9, with the 14-140mm lens. I'm thinking that the good magnification of the lens may cause trouble, but perhaps it's the other way around (?).

I also wonder if anyone has had problems with their eyes after photographing towards the sun. I took a series of photos at a windmill, backlit by the sun. After that, my eyes hurt, and I got rather worried about the whole thing (it got better the next day, though). Or am I over-worried?

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow