What focus mechanism do you use?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
riman Senior Member • Posts: 1,227
What focus mechanism do you use?

I have had my z 6 -2 for about two months so I am not an expert, by far, but I have tried many different ways of doing things and would like to get some ideas from others as to their method of focusing.

I mostly shoot people and most of the time they are near others who I dont want to focus on.

Here is what I am doing..

I use Auto area people mode  but it has its problems as it often focuses on someone I dont want.. or misses the subject entirely if they dont have both eyes visible..or changes focus if they turn away..

as a result I use the Auto Area People but then switch to Tracking mode in most cases..so get my target

I would prefer Wide Area AF as I thus narrow the area I want the camera to find a pair of eyes and gives it a better chance of success but then I cant easily activate Tracking mode ..

I would like to have the option of selecting Wide Area AF  and then be able to switch to total screen  tracking like  with Auto Area.. but it cant be done

So to recap I use Wide Area People but then switch to Tracking  Mode

That is how I achieve focusing and if anyone has a suggestion of how I could do this better, I would love to hear it

Thanks

riman's gear list:riman's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Nikkor Z 24-120mm F4 S
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow