A1 1.31 FW Update - Better/Faster Bird Eye Focus

Started Oct 2, 2022 | Discussions thread
OP Glenn Barber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,921
Re: A1 1.31 FW Update - Better/Faster Bird Eye Focus

daran wrote:

Glenn Barber wrote:

It cooled down considerably here in Southern California and at this mornings walk in the Marsh it seems some of the smaller birds have returned to the trees.

This was my first opportunity to check out the improved A1 firmware with the 200-600. It was overcast, and although the light was not great , I could easily see that bird eye focus had improved greatly with the new release.

Not to rain on your parade, but with overcast weather AF has less atmospherics to fight, which may look like improved AF? So far others have reported either no or minor improvements.

I've been shooting the A1 at the same location, bright morning sun as well as cloudy overcast since it was released - never saw the eye focus work as well with small targets like this.

It may be the generally mild early morning conditions at the coastal marsh, but Ive never seen much in the way of atmospherics affecting shots at this distance here.

After your response I checked Fred Miranda to see if there were comments there  - found this in the firmware thread.

InFocus2014 wrote:
…Birds were a different story, however. The firmware update seemed to improve acquisition on the birds. The most amazing test was where I was shooting a small blackbird (really small in the image field). Even to the naked eye, up close, seeing the black eyes on the black bird was difficult. The new update would pick the eye up with no problem, the old firmware would not even locate it. It is my guess that the software algorithm now analyzes the head shape to help zero-in on the eye. That is an impressive improvement…

Glenn Barber's gear list:Glenn Barber's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony a1 Sony a7R V Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow