24-200mm f6.3 Z for an acquaintances wedding outdoirs

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Re: Expectations. Really?

Nigvo wrote:

I wish you and your industry well, but I have the right not to be one of your customers, and I am also permitted to say that in my opinion expensive wedding photography is a waste of money, just like expensive receptions, for young couples who may be short of money and would be wiser spending their money in a more practical way.

Makes sense. My wedding pictures were taken by a professional photographer - with probably kit lenses because that's what middle class wedding photographers in India used back then 2 decades ago. That said, the lady was a pretty good photographer in terms of capturing the moments and composition.

Looking back, we have gone through the wedding album periodically. However, not more than 15-20 times over the last 20+ years after the first 2-3 months. Also it is unlikely we would have viewed the album much more than that even if the photographer had been using better lenses.

I was not into photography or photo gear back then when I got married. Subsequently I did get into photography, skilled myself over the years and still learning as learning is never over. Over the years, I have taken many memorable portraits of my family and of kids growing up, etc.

If I had to choose again, of course I would have liked to have had a top notch wedding photographer. But if the budget was limited and I had to prioritize between excellent wedding photos versus a better place to go for honeymoon or a down payment on a car or a house, I can easily see the case for saving the expenses of a costly wedding photographer for a less expensive option. After all the wedding photographs were memories of just one snapshot of time - there are going to be plenty more memories in a long successful marriage.

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow