Scaled Quail

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,387
Scaled Quail

As you know, Texas and much of the SW US have faced and ongoing drought.  This summer was really bad in most of the Texas panhandle.  However,  my small part of the world has gotten a little more rain in May and late August .  These rains helped many of us to raise a cotton crop which also helped the much of the wildlife.  Mule Deer, quail, jackrabbits and other critters did well in the fields and the areas surrounding them.  Below are all photos that were taken in and around cotton fields on the South Plains in the Panhandle of Texas.

Our annual rainfall is around 15 inches per year and this year most of the area is half of that amount or less.  In my small area we have received about 8 inches since September of 2021.

This Scaled Quail sits on a fence post between a cotton field and a pasture on yellowhouse canyon.

These Mule Deer run across a cottonfield.  They are late with their velvet and thin from the summer.

A hummingbird flies over a cotton field going from bloom to bloom

A black tailed jack rabbit rests in a grassy area near my barn

A covey of scaled quail

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow