Preparing for my annual fall Aspen leaf peeping road trip

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mfinley
mfinley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,545
Preparing for my annual fall Aspen leaf peeping road trip

Last season we spent a long weekend 'leaf peeping' doing a road trip through Aspen, Marble, Keebler pass and Great Sand Dunes National Park.

The plan this year is to go further south...from Denver through Phantom Canyon to Bishops Castle, taking the back way over Medano Pass into Great Sand Dunes National Park and a brief stop at Zapata Falls as day one.

Day two is leaving Alamosa for Creede via the Silver Thread byway, stopping at the waterfalls after Creede on the way to Lake City. Taking the Alpine Byway to American Basin, Cinnamon pass, Engineer pass then out to Silverton. Silverton to Ouray.

Last day is heading up the million-dollar highway to the West Elk scenic byway to Paonia, hope to self pick a bushel of apples from the orchards there, then continue on through Grand Mesa up to I 70 and back to Denver, possibly Guenella pass on the way home, but color might be fading there.

Next weekend by all my calculations and research should have the San Juans at peak or at near peak colors and the weather looks like it might be cooperative so far.

Any tips, tricks or favorite places along this route?

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow