The future of photography (well, proper photography...)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yerach
yerach Regular Member • Posts: 349
The future of photography (well, proper photography...)

"Are smartphones going to kill cameras?"

Heard that question before?

I personally hate it...

As someone who thinks he can drive his camera better than any AI autopilot, I say a straight "no", but that is only true so far, and I strongly believe that a time will come, not too far off in the future, that in sheer performance, smartphones will outdo cameras.

This brings me to the point: what is it camera manufacturers must do that they haven't?

What significant upgrade can cameras still get?

The last few years have brought the "AF revolution", which more or less reached it's summit in 2020, now we've pretty much experienced the "age of the stacked sensor", and maybe some super-high-res sensors are still down the pipes.

But aside of the superior AF we've come to expect, nothing really goes along the lines of the "camera/smartphone battle".

I think the time of camera AI has come, not autopilot AI, G-d forbid, but user controlled AI, that will bring all the tech developed in the smartphone industry to the fingertips of pros.

I currently use an R5 for my work, and the only thing that could convince me to upgrade in the near future (maybe 10 years...), other than damage or theft, hoping those won't take it, would be a body that's smarter, not so smart that it works alone, but smart enough to allow me to either work faster, get more finished results (as I intend to have them) right out of camera, or catch photos in ways I otherwise couldn't have, all of which smartphone tech allows it's users to do.

Agree? Disagree?

Let's hear!

-- hide signature --

canon at hand nikon at heart

yerach's gear list:yerach's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow