Opinions? From A7Riii to a9? Or A7iv?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,809
Opinions? From A7Riii to a9? Or A7iv?

So here's a non conventional question: I have been using the A7RIII for a year now (bought second hand in excellent condition) and I'm mostly very happy about it. I was using the a7iii before and I upgraded for the better Evf and screen (yep, those were my main issues with the A7iii). However, I discovered I really like that 42mpix sensor! The images coming from it are stunning!

So what am I missing? Well... Two friends of mine just got an A7iv and I must say that the autofocus does seem quite a bit better. When shooting in the studio, I sometimes get slightly misfocused eyes with my A7Riii. On moving subjects (kids playing etc), the keeper rate is ok but not stellar.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I have the opportunity to get an original Sony A9 (my dream camera a few years back) for about 2000€. That is 600€ less than a A7iv. Problem is: I can't afford to keep both the A7RIII and the A9.  But in a pinch, I could afford a A7iv.

Now the question is: how much better is the AF on the A7iv compared to the A7RIII? And how does it compare to the A9? Is there really a big difference?

Also, I loved the A7iii files and honestly, I almost never make prints so the 42 megapixels are probably overkill much of the time. The idea of shooting with electronic shutter all the time without distortion and having a top notch AF for more keepers is attractive too. Maybe that's all I need  🤔🤣

For info, I am using mainly Tamron lenses ( the 2.8 trinity) as well as Samyang primes. The only Sony lens I have is the 85 1.8. The 28-75 is giving me the worse AF performance, maybe it's time to upgrade the lens?

Any thoughts would be appreciated 👍

Photofan

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow