DxO PhotoLab5 as a stand alone?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SirSeth
SirSeth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,971
DxO PhotoLab5 as a stand alone?

Hi all! I'm newish here and have multiple questions for the good people here.  (I have searched the forums and would like to see if there is any additional points to consider)

I used the Olympus E1 through E5 then went mirrorless with an OM-1 and XT-1 after which I switched to Sony A7Rii for 5-6 years. I used Capture One for Sony after being disenchanted by a forced move to subscription Lightroom. I've used the same set of legacy MF lenses with all my mirrorless bodies thus far, but my eyes are just not what they used to be and my hit rate has fallen. So I'm back with a G9 and my first AF lens since 4/3rds days is the 25mm f1.7.

I've been using Darktable which has improved quite a bit over the years, but the best RAW converter are not as much about the range of tools imo, but about the quality of each tool to add value to the actual file.

1. I'm considering DxO PhotoLab5 after assuming that DxO PureRaw is only really a plugin for Lightroom or C1 and not a stand alone program. Is PhotoLab5 a stand alone app? If so, I'd like to hear from those who use it as such. Is it fast? The best, fastest, and most added value program I have used was Raw Shooter Essentials before Adobe bought them out (blast to the past I know). I just want something that does the basic stuff really proficiently and makes RAW editing effective and enjoyable.

Is DxO fast/efficient? Does it work on a catalogue like LR/C1. (Why can't these programs just read my file structure?) I've been really impressed by the DxO noise engine and sharpening that I've seen reported widely). Just don't know how it works as a stand alone.

2. For my next lens I'm debating between the 12-35mm and 12-40mm. Do you have an opinion? Good used AF lenses are so much cheaper in 4/3rds than FF!  Good glass still costs, but I think there are more options here than Sony imo. The 35-100mm looks like a great lens too.

Thanks all, Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +5 more
Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow