RF 16mm vs Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Amefra New Member • Posts: 5
RF 16mm vs Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II

Hi
I'm afraid it's usual comparison request.

I have a R6 - having come from a long line of Canon SLRs, all the way back to film. I'm gradually replacing a lot of the old EF glass with RF; not necessarily L lenses, as I find the RF primes very good for what I need and do.

I have a legacy Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II. I like it; it's not the best lens, but it's nice and wide, and as I spend quite a bit of time on the wide open beaches of Norfolk (UK!), I use it a lot. And it works on the R6; no issues at all really.

I've also read many bad reports of the RF 16mm.

But - the RF 16mm is small, throw in pocket size. And of course faster. Ideal for taking another lens, and then being able to swap when an opportunity arises. The extra size of the Sigma, and the adaptor means I'm less likely to carry it, and therefore less likely to use it. Neither lens is something you can really just leave on for general snapping. If I did swap, I would be losing that extra 4mm, which is a quite a lot at this focal range.

Anyone use both? Anyone have any opinions on which direction I should go? Should I just get a better bag?

Many thanks

Amefra's gear list:Amefra's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 16mm F2.8 STM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow