DisplayCal profile loader at odds with Photoshop monitor profile info?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,490
DisplayCal profile loader at odds with Photoshop monitor profile info?

When I calibrated my system using DispalyCal, I chose the option to use DisplayCal’s own profile loader instead of using the Windows OS. This seems to be a ubiquitous piece of advice in pretty much every tutorial about DisplayCal you come across.

When I go into Windows Color Management settings (Win 11 22H2), there are no profiles shown for my monitor. OK, fine. That seems to make complete sense if I’m using DisplayCal’s profile loader and have never calibrated/profiled using any other software.

However…when I check what Photoshop is using for the monitor profile, it is just using plain old sRGB. It does not show that it is using the monitor profile generated by DispayCal.

So what’s the bottom line here? Is something just incorrect appearance-wise and PS is indeed using the profile generated by DisplayCal as its monitor profile or do I need to do something else?

I could, of course, add DisplayCal’s icc profile for my monitor in the Windows color management settings which you would assume would then make the profile “available” to Photoshop. Doesn’t that run counter to the advice of using DisplayCal’s profile loader though? Might it also present a risk for double-profiling in some circumstances?

NOTE:
If you’re unfamiliar with the item in my second image, it’s an FYI piece of information that Photoshop just happens to show you in the dropdown menu for your working space setting [LINK].

I am in no way under any impression that I should actually be choosing my monitor profile from this dropdown. This choice should pretty much always be sRGB, AdobeRGB, or ProPhoto depending on your needs and preferences.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow