One from one of the best nights in the Mara...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alan Hewitt Photo
Alan Hewitt Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 679
One from one of the best nights in the Mara...

Ten years and many many more trips I've waited for this moment.

When the sunsets, it disappears quickly. We've longed for shots where we can get a very strong sunset and enjoy the simplicity of silhouettes of elephants or giraffes. Don't get me wrong, it can work with many animals but something that has unmistakable shape like an ellie or giraffe, I've always envisaged this to work best as a silhouette.

In my vehicle, we were actually photographing some cattle egrets on some cape buffalo when the guide in one of our other vehicles gave us a shout of the possibility of ellies at sunset.

So, a ferrari safari it was. Hold on tight, we're gonna shift! As the sun sank I could see it coming together. Our vehicle was still actually moving when I jumped out, keen to help our guests get into postion and sh!t yeah, I also wanted this photographed!

One of our Maasai guides, Boston, he'd absolutely played a blinder. He'd recognised exactly where the sun would disappear on the horizon, coincided it with the movement of the elephant herd on the ridgeline in a position without distraction behind or in front of the ellies. It really isn't often this all comes together.

Many photos were taken by me, my other photographer and our guests. Under exposure is the order, so fast shutter speeds! Cold beers were plentiful, what more can we ask for? Safari photography heaven, mother and calf. One of the best nights in the Mara I've ever experienced.

X-H2S & 100-400mm

-- hide signature --

FUJIFILM UK Ambassador/ X-Photographer
Formatt-Hitech Ambassador
Wildlife Photographer, filmmaker, photo safari & workshop guide, freelance writer.
INSTA1: alanhewittphoto
INSTA2: bts_alanhewittphoto

Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list:Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow