Why is ProFoto better?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,399
Re: Why is ProFoto better?

I laugh when I hear someone ask which product is better or best, it's all about your own standard and how the gear is used. I started my career in the early 90's with an old Speedotron kit which was big, heavy and pretty reliable until I used it on location with a generator and blew it up.

About this time, Profoto had just come out with the Acute kits so I bought one. Since then, I have been all Profoto Acute with RFI and Elinchrom modifiers. Today, I have an Acute2 1200 and 600b kits plus a Compact300 that simply will not die. I've only needed service on the 600b because I bought it used and it had a couple issues that cost me $180.

I believe the Acute system has a great combination of build quality, consistent power, color and duration. If memory serves me, those original Acute kits cost about $1500 and seem like a steal these days. I did see a B2 kit on bay for $1500 but I had to look at the cases in the closet and realize that I don't need anything else.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow