Where to go after Adobe Subscription?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mark S. Johnson Regular Member • Posts: 129
Where to go after Adobe Subscription?

I had a Photography/Video Production business for 35 years and was essentially an all-Adobe user. I know that this must be asked somewhat frequently, but a search wasn't turning up answers.

I haven't picked up my R5 in two years.  I thought I would still be SO involved in photography as a hobby after closing my business, but I'm renovating a house and busy with other things. I Haven't really even wanted to pick a camera up.  I know my lifelong love of photography will return someday, but that might be another few years off and it just doesn't make sense for me to pay the full $50/month for Adobe anymore when it's not being used.

Specifically to photographers that have retired, or had a career change or similar:

If you were previously a heavy Photoshop user,  what do you find in real-world situations that you miss by going to Elements? Can I still open all my .PSDs from over the years and tweak a layer or mask or something? Or are there a few pretty basic features missing that make Elements frustrating or impossible to use after using the full version since PS5?

Of course I expect that Elements won't have the depth of features.  But are there go-to tools missing, or is the interface horrible?  Or is it a relatively smooth changeover from previous daily PS use to occasional Elements use?

I'm kind of open to other software, but having used Adobe for so long, I'm hoping to stay with somewhat familiar tools and workflow.

I don't know what to do about Lightroom yet!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! 

Mark S. Johnson's gear list:Mark S. Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow