Return to Cobbler Creek

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bergfalke 4
bergfalke 4 Regular Member • Posts: 240
Return to Cobbler Creek

My partner and I took advantage of the first nice day in a few weeks to hike around Cobbler Creek Reserve. It was my first time back since the beginning of the year.

We returned to a known nesting site and sure enough, it was occupied by a pair of red rumped parrots. Normally there are a lot of these birds at this reserve. Not so many this time. The wetter winter may mean they are further inland.

The female red rumped parrot at the entrance to the nest site

We didn't get any closer for fear she would abandon the nest. Next time I will put the 1.4 TC on.

There were quite a few Rufus Whistlers around the area of the Red Rumped Parrot nesting site. This male is calling its characteristic whistle.

Male Rufus Whistler

Cobbler Creek Reserve has a healthy population of Fairy Wrens. You can't walk anywhere without hearing them in the shrubbery.

This male Superb Fairy Wren is on the prowl for its next meal.

On the walk out of the reserve, I watched a Nankeen exchange a lizard with another. She promptly flew into her hollow beside the creek with her gift. This is part of the mating ritual where the male demonstrates that he can provide food. Or perhaps it is just a bribe.

Female Nankeen Falcon with her gift

Once she was happy with her gift, she flew up into a nearby gum tree on the side of the hill. I fitted the 1.4 TC and climbed up the side of the slope. It wasn't an ideal position and I was at risk of slipping and falling.

Female Nankeen.

The end result of the mating ritual. Hand held. Really should have doubled the shutter speed.

Making the next generation

Enjoy

Anthony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bergfalke4/

bergfalke 4's gear list:bergfalke 4's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow