How can they land and eat with two fishes in both talons?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,744
How can they land and eat with two fishes in both talons?

There are a few migratory Ospreys showed up on our local lake in the center of LA San Fernando Valley about 1-1.5 months ago. Unfortunately I was able to get there only recently. Observing them diving, I wondered why they always pulled off just small fish while quite big ones were even jumping in the air.

To my surprise when I got home I discovered that quite a few birds were carrying out two fishes at once. I saw such things before but not often. Then I asked myself a question: 'How can they land and eat with two fishes in both talons'? Especially on the trees?

The images are not great. First time in almost 15 years I was shooting JPEGs instead of RAW, because my Z9 files were not recognized by my iMac. Since then I found the solution converting them from NEF to DNG, but the whole "Ospreys" session went JPEG quality

First 'double shooter'

Another lucky one, pulling out two fished at once

Same bird #2

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 500mm F4 Sport +3 more
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow