Looking for compact superzoom with fast autofocus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kade1301 New Member • Posts: 6
Looking for compact superzoom with fast autofocus

2 years ago I bought a Canon EOS 90D. Brilliant camera, but I almost never use it because I find it too heavy. 12 years ago I bought a Panasonic DMC-TZ25 which I have used for video, but for photos of quickly moving animals (like a dog) its autofocus is much too slow. And last time I wanted to use it the lens wouldn't move.

I figure it's time for a new compact, but now the market seems to disappear DP Review's buying guides don't even mention true, low-cost compacts as far as I can see, so I hope somebody here can help me.

I am looking for a camera to take with me when I walk the dog because right now I'm missing countless wonderful opportunities. Basically a point-and-shoot model, with the following features:

First and foremost compact (not a bridge, no matter how much better the pictures supposedly are), with fast autofocus (for running sighthounds) and a big optical zoom range, especially at the long end (no need for very wide angle). Decent video capability - zooming while filming, working autofocus - are also a must.

I would like to have an electronic viewfinder (with the Panasonic I was working blind if there was any sun). A price under $ 500 would be lovely. I wouldn't be opposed to water-resistance, but I figure that's contradictory with the big zoom range.

Things that do not matter: Sound quality, because generally I put music over the videos. 4K because I can neither process huge files nor upload them to YouTube.

My main problem is that I can't find any information on how fast the autofocus works in the various Panasonic Lumix and Sony Cybershot models. Does anybody either have experience or can point me to reviews that consider this problem?

(BTW, a smartphone is NOT an option for me!)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow