Astro Photo Question (trying this forum)...

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,346
Re: Astro Photo Question (trying this forum)...

Floodblue wrote:

kayaker353 wrote:

At the risk of usurping the OP's question, I have tried a couple of astro tests. First, technical technique, then on to real photos. I have found that 30 seconds at F2 with the Z9 and 20 mm F1.8 and ISO 200 shows a lot of bright stars, but no tracking to speak of. Also, there is no sense of a multitude of stars, as in the Milky Way. Am I underexposing and need to up the ISO to get a more dramatic effect? Also, is stacking required compared to a single shot? Will keep experimenting until I get an attractive effect. Would appreciate any helpful comments>

In PP just ramp your exposure up a lot and whites as necessary and do local edits on the milky way and I think you'll be surprised how much is hidden there in the data.

Yes to working with a slightly brighter image, then using a bit of dehaze right in the milky way area.  The hues and contrast really start to pop.

30 seconds is a little long for 20mm if you're not using a tracking mount.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
Light pollution does not only erase our view of the stars. Scientific evidence suggests that artificial light at night has negative and deadly effects on wildlife, including amphibians, birds, insects, and mammals. ~ Bin Chen

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow