Did you buy your camera because you have FOMO?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scphoto
scphoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Did you buy your camera because you have FOMO?

A news article headline caught my attention because it used the acronym FOMO regarding the recent jump in housing prices in the USA. The article explained that FOMO stands for "Fear Of Missing Out". I didn't know that.

I think many of us buy cameras/lenses/software updates because we (at least "I") want to have the latest and greatest. My FOMO is mostly a result of being envious of some of the great nature/wildlife shooters on this forum. Maybe that new camera/lens/PP apps will makeup for my rather mediocre photographing skills???

But that is NOT my point. So why am I talking about FOMO on this forum?

Because ... When reading some of the posts on this forum I'm sometimes confronted with a flurry of acronyms: IBIS, OIS,BIF, etc.. Because I've been a DPreview member since 2005 in various camera forums I know most of the common acronyms. But what about those people who are new to photography? Should we just ignore them or tell them to look it up on the internet? (In my distant youth, my teachers always told me to look up an new word in "the dictionary". I didn't. Did you?

I recently read a thread with the acronym DTC. What's a DTC? I looked it up and it stands for Digital TeleConverter. It would have been helpful if the OP in the text body starting the thread used the acronym followed by it's definition in parens: DTC (Digital TeleConverter).

Should one do this every time when using an acronym? NO! When we speak or write in English we expect that our audience has a basic level of English language skills. We don't need to write as if they are in first grade learning to read, e.g. "See Spot run." We can expect our audience on this forum to have some knowledge of these acronyms.
I'm hoping that this post will encourage people, FOMOs and non-FOMOs, to try to help Newbies on this forum. Of all the dpreview forums I've been on, the m4/3 forum has the most helpful and friendly shooters.

In life we often depend on the kindness of strangers. Defining some of your acronyms is just one way to be a little kinder to the strangers on this forum who are interested in what we have to say but may not have our same level of acronym knowledge.

SYLA (See You Later Alligator) ...

- Simon

-- hide signature --

- Simon

scphoto's gear list:scphoto's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 OM-1 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow