Is it time to move on from my old MFT kit?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gylo New Member • Posts: 9
Is it time to move on from my old MFT kit?

I love photography, but I’m not that competent, I simply use aperture priority and have some fun, love taking pictures of the family, pets and holidays. I've had Lumix for over a decade, right from the G1.

My old Lumix G80 hasn't come out of the bag much lately because of the iPhone 13pro, this has made me lazy, everything looks ok on a little screen, doesn’t it?

To give you the full picture I have a selection of the older/cheaper Primes:

I still have the kit lens Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (never got around to updating it, because I liked the primes)

As well as Mount D adaptor for:

I was looking through old photos in lightroom and I decided I wanted to get back into taking better photos and it might be time to upgrade my camera body and replace that kit lens.

The obvious choice for me would be the OM System OM-1 with the 12-40mm f2.8 Mk II, which no doubt gives me everything I need for a price tag of £2.5k!

At the price point though a full-frame camera like the Lumix S5 plus a couple of lenses, might give me plenty of background blur and image quality and the autofocus may be ok for my travelling, pets, and kids?

I've always worried about having a big hefty camera to lug around, but at this price, I could even get a Sony A7iv and a kit lens. Save up for a prime or two later. The image quality, low light and superb autofocus, looks like a lot of fun, or similarly a fujifil X-H2S, I could go on.

So my main question is:

Are my present lens any good/worth keeping, considering the new technology, the autofocus - tracking is poor on my present camera and these lenses might be ok optically, but will they hold back the OM1’s performance?

I’m not likely to be buying the bigger lenses and shooting animals or birds. I’m more likely to stick on a prime and do some street photography, architecture, just day tripping with the family etc.

I would like to hear from anyone who has made similar transitions to different systems etc. Thanks in advance!

Gylo's gear list:Gylo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
OM-1 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sony a7 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow