Some shots are simply... out of focus?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kaitlyn Contributing Member • Posts: 572
Some shots are simply... out of focus?

I've shot with the Canon 5D + pro-level lenses for years, but recently picked up the A6600 when I got my new dog to take photos of.

I mainly use the Animal eye AF tracking, wide focus zone... and it tends to reliably focus/follow focus on his body if not his eyes when he's looking at the camera.

However when I load the photos back home, some shots in a series of shots are simply out of focus. But not like front/back focusing... just, not sharp?

Any idea what's going on? The ONE thing I am thinking of is the IBIS actually working against me than with me? I am regularly shooting with only 1 hand, and I don't know if that "rotation" or "bump" as I press the shutter is doing anything? But for example a shot at f2.8 and 1/250s... should more than compensate for any minor movement?

Feeling like I'm walking away with a lot of rejects and I'm not sure WHY

Is there any tool that could let me see what the AF focus point was/the depth of focus/etc.? Does sony embed anything like that in their RAW?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow