Will the Z8 (or whatever) be shutterless?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Z6User
Z6User Senior Member • Posts: 1,105
Re: Will the Z8 (or whatever) be shutterless?

philm5d wrote:

A shutterless and totally silent camera would have been incredibly useful so many times in my former professional career and that feature tempts me to purchase a Z9 even now in retirement.

However I no longer need a professional body built like a tank so I just wondered if this feature is likely to trickle down to a "Z8" maybe next year?

Yes, I do know that the Z6/7 can operate silently - and indeed I can do this with my D850 in Live View but the rolling shutter is very prevalent in most shots and so cannot be relied on.

I realise that no-one, barring Nikon, actually knows, but I'd be interested in any speculative comments.

Will aliens arrive tomorrow?

Will nuclear fusion be figured out within 40 years?

Will Putin declare his pronouns as she and her?

The answer to your question depends on the cost of a suitable sensor. Does Sony have anything suitable that Nikon can buy and adapt? Does anyone know the cost of the Z9 sensor, ignoring the associated off sensor electronics? And the yearly yield? They might after all  be limited by sensor production.

-- hide signature --
 Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow