Distance capability of long zooms

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,295
Distance capability of long zooms

I have seen many times criticism that suggests that the PL100-400 and Oly 100-400 may not be great at 400mm. In my case with the PL100-400 I have disputed this. I think there is little or no deterioration at 400mm for mnot too distant subjects. I do however recognise that the quality falls off quite quickly with the distance of the subject when invariably we are likely to be at max zoom.. Often there have been doubts about their lens from new purchasers which can easily be attributed to the subject just being too far away.

It occurs to me that when these lenses are being compared/tested no attention is paid to their abilty to work with distant subjects. There seems little to choose between the Oly and the Panny lens but this might be a difference that could affect buying decisions. This could also be something which shows the benefit of the Oly150-400. I don't have the ability to carry out these tests but if anybody does have both or all three it would be a welcome addition to the test portfolio or maybe one of the YouTube pundits would be able to do it.

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow