Not yet real autumn but almost as cold as winter...

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Reto B
Reto B Senior Member • Posts: 2,995
Not yet real autumn but almost as cold as winter...

Temperatures went a little up and then down again last week, but are still below the seasonal average. Nevertheless, sunny weather and pleasant temperatures during the day invited to further hikes. Only the first faint signs of the fall colors can be seen here and there. It almost seems as if the larches stay green longer in protest against the early cold weather

Slowly the snow melts and maybe it disappears again completely before the "real " winter arrives. In any case, the larches do not show any signs of turning yellow yet, although everything else is getting more and more autumnal.

Guarda, the pearl of the Lower Engadine, the small village on a sunny terrace where I settled almost seven years ago.

The beauty of this area still "intoxicates" me every day. A permanent and free high without any drugs!

I am sure that I will never get enough of this place for the rest of my life. I am a part of it and belong to it like the trees and meadows. And I have loved these mountains since I was a little boy, hiking through the area with my beloved grandfather.

"My" valley, my little paradise. Whenever I walk through this area, my heart overflows with gratitude! In short, the so called "darned seventh year" could not harm my love for this valley...

On the Lajet, our small lake, the first ice could be seen on the edges. This is definitely the beginning of autumn. The green gives way to more and more autumnal browns.

On the Engadinian Dolomites, here in the background of the small neighboring village of Bos-Cha, the snow has almost completely melted again.

The latest development speaks against the assumption that the snow may disappear completely again before the onset of winter, because there was snow again. It was the third weekend in a row with fresh snow on the peaks, which is rather unusual for this time of year even up here.

The mountain peaks are already white again. Here in the village, it also snowed lightly, but without the snow staying. In Lavin down at the bottom of the valley it has only rained.

It's been a strange year so far, and in addition to the political, economic, and energy sector turmoil, the weather is also doing strange capers. But up here it is not what you would expect from a warming climate and the political hullabaloo seems to be quite far away, fortunately. I'm really very glad not to live in the city these days...

To see the entire series of the past few days as a slideshow please go here.

As a reminder that the weather up here sometimes really goes crazy some pictures from September 2020, when we already received about 30 cm of snow on September 26.

When I woke up that day I was amazed not only little. We were all completely blindsided by these amounts of snow.

The wet snow weighed heavily on the trees and snapped branches and even uprooted some trees.

The farmers had to bring the cattle down to the barns early. The snow did not last very long and already ten days later they were allowed to go out into the countryside again.

The animals – and of course all of us – could then enjoy several weeks of wonderful mild autumn weather.

By the end of October, things looked like they usually do in a beautiful autumn, and we were able to enjoy the delightful fall colors and glorious weather for several weeks. Later a cold, snowy and wonderful winter followed.

Thank you for looking and commenting!

Best wishes from the mountains,
Reto

Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow