Weird white dots through viewfinder (dust? Hot pixels? Or something else?)

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Nique_Photographique Contributing Member • Posts: 844
Weird white dots through viewfinder (dust? Hot pixels? Or something else?)

Has anyone else experienced this?

When I took a long exposure image of the night sky and played back the images through the viewfinder, I noticed what appeared to be dust or hot pixels on my sensor on the image. (It looked like a bunch of “extra stars.”).

I took off my lenses blew off my lenses and also did a few sensor cleanings through the Canon R5 camera menu.

I then took a few 30 second exposures with the lens cap on to see what would show up. Played back the image through the viewfinder and saw this:

Taken with iPhone camera held up to the viewfinder. You are seeing a 30 second exposure (with the lens cap on) played back through the viewfinder

However, when I play the image back on the back screen I get this:

Same Image as above also taken with iPhone camera of the back screen…notice no white dots.

And so finally I transferred the jpeg file and here is the jpeg file:

Same image file as above…just transferred jpeg through Canon app to ipad….Perfectly clean black image…as it should be…

What is going on and why do I see so many (what appear to be) dust spots through the viewfinder when I play back/view the image through the viewfinder? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Nique_Photographique's gear list:Nique_Photographique's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow