Worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,509
Worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept?

We all know Adams' aphorism that there is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. But what about the opposite - a fuzzy image of a sharp concept? What would be the visible (if any) differences between the two? And since this is a photographic science and technology forum, I'm not asking for a philosophical discussion. I'm asking about the visible (if any) differences between equal system resolution achieved by using a lens with poor resolution on a camera with a high resolution sensor and vice versa (i.e., a lens with good resolution mated to a camera with a low resolution sensor). Where are we likely to see visible differences? Further, how will making the mismatches more extreme while keeping overall system resolution equal affect the answer, if at all?

The one obvious thing that comes to mind is aliasing and moire that should be more visible on the system with a sharp lens and a lower resolution sensor. Feel free to elaborate on that, but since I thnk I already have a decent grasp of that subject, I'm really more interested in other possible IQ issues. Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow