Why does the Sony A7IV have so many restrictions on shooting speed? (10FPS vs 6FPS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
candasulas
candasulas Regular Member • Posts: 115
Why does the Sony A7IV have so many restrictions on shooting speed? (10FPS vs 6FPS)

I have been using Sony mirrorless cameras for about 8 years. I have used A6000, A6300, A7II, A7RII and A7RIII.

I switched to the new generation A7 IV and preferred the new body for the next generation features it offers. In particular, features such as AF performance, eye tracking, menus being more usable and practical, and a renewed 33mp sensor were the biggest reasons for me to pass.

But there is one point that I can't quite understand, why is Sony acting so limited in shooting speed? Even the A7RIII announced at the end of 2017 shoots at 10FPS, while the announced A7 IV at the end of 2021 drops to 6FPS when shooting uncompressed RAW and Lossless Compressed RAW. It is impossible to understand this. Because it has an almost unlimited buffer memory. It has a much more powerful processor. Will Sony fix this issue with a software update at this point? It's really not understandable for Sony to throttle from here, while its rivals can go up to 12-14-20FPS shutter speeds.

I'm wondering what your opinion is on this.

candasulas's gear list:candasulas's gear list
Sony a7 IV Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN
Sony a7 IV Sony a7R III Sony a7R IIIA
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow