Perfect entry level DSLR

Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kevinlundoh
kevinlundoh New Member • Posts: 10
Perfect entry level DSLR

I had experience borrowing lots of Nikon DSLRs from my friends few years ago when the era of social digitalization boomed (when Facebook, Instagram and Twitter became mainstream) , namely the D700, D3000 series, D5000 series, D90, D7000 and D7100 but my first DSLR that I can afford is the D3400.
This camera is enough for a hobbyist or for someone who isn't too deep into photography.

I prefer 1/3 stops but this camera only has half-stops shutter capability,

It doesn't support autofocus on lenses with aperture rings (like the AF-D lenses) as do any Nikon entry-level DSLRs but you can still use those lenses under Manual mode to manual focus and manually turning the aperture ring to set your desired aperture. Live view helps with the exposure and focusing. Speaking of live view, the minimum shutter speed for live view mode is 1/60s probably because it needs to match with the video fps which capped max at 60fps at 1080p.

Supports AF-S and AF-P lenses, I really love using AF-P lenses as they are very quiet, very lightweight, very fast, not to mention affordable. Although the introduction of AF-P lenses caused a bit of stir in Nikon's record-breaking compatibility throughout the years, they actually performed very good. You can get a cheap 'golden trinity' just by buying the only 3 zoom ranges of AF-P lenses for Nikon DX cameras which are 10-20mm f4-5.6, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and the 70-300mm f4.5-6.3.

You can mount a battery grip for extra battery life, but the shutter on the battery grip can only be used as a remote.

The EXPEED 4 processor is mind-blowing, considering the last DSLR I used before this was the Nikon D90 running on the first EXPEED processor, so I'm really amazed on the newer noise reduction capability. Nikon claims this camera has a native ISO setting from 100-12800 and expandable to 25600 but I set my max auto ISO at 6400, going higher only on desperate times.

Last but not least, I really love the built-in Bluetooth which lets me connect and automatically transfers images to my phone via Snapbridge app. I mainly use it to transfer compressed images (for storage saving) into my phone and review my shots on a larger screen. Downside is, you cannot control this camera remotely via app, somehow it doesn't supports it.

kevinlundoh's gear list:kevinlundoh's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
Nikon D3400
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Aug 17, 2016
kevinlundoh's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
okay
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Nikon D3000 Nikon D3400 Nikon D5000 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow