Replacement for broken Sony a6000

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WillN New Member • Posts: 4
Replacement for broken Sony a6000

Hey everyone

My a6000 got water damaged on a recent trip and I am eyeing up a replacement, but I'm a little stuck with the decision and would like some advice please.

My main use case is travel photos (landscape, some astro, wildlife, action, portraits - almost always outdoors).

Previous setup was

• a6000
  • Sony 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 OSS (do most shooting on this lens and take just this one on trips when I want to reduce weight)
  • Sigma 30mm f1.4
  • Samyang 12mm f2

Ideally I would like to gain a tangible improvement in IQ and have slightly higher resolution images. Some additional dynamic range for shadow recovery would also be great, but not a deal breaker. *

The flexibility of having a superzoom with range around 28-200mm (35mm equiv) is important to me.

Options I have considered, plus some thoughts, are:

• a6600 with existing lenses
    • There are some great benefits over the a6000 but ultimately it has the same sensor as a6000 so minimal IQ improvement (I think)
    • If Sony add a new APSC model to the a6xxx line with an updated sensor, I would want to replace the a6600 with that
  • a7iv + Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6
  • Fuji X-T4 + zoom
    • I disregarded this option because X-T4 is almost as heavy as A7IV and has smaller sensor

My questions are:

1. Will I notice an IQ improvement from a6000 + Sony 18-135 --> A7IV + Tamron 18-200? (I wonder if using a superzoom on a7IV will hamper IQ, so wont see improvement?)
  2. How is travelling and shooting with a bigger kit? Do you just get used to the additional size/weight?
  3. Combining Q. 1 and 2, assuming A7IV + Tamron 18-200 will give better IQ, is the weight gain worth the better IQ?
  4. Any ideas if Sony will release an update to a6600 anytime soon? (im not interested in the recent vlogger model)
  5. Is there another body / lens setup I should consider?

I would also welcome any other comments or advice on this decision.

Thanks very much!

Will

Sony a6000 Sony a7 IV Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow