Canon EOS R series vs Sony A7 series (full frame mirrorless)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deadtomorrow New Member • Posts: 24
Canon EOS R series vs Sony A7 series (full frame mirrorless)

Hi everyone, I started this discussion about choosing a mirrorless camera, and thanks to lots of help I've narrowed down where I'm going and also changed my criteria based on what I've researched.

I've basically reached a point where my original budget (around £1,000 - £1,500 with lens) wasn't enough so I've upped it based on what I need, rather than starting with a budget.

I'm at the point where I think the best compromise between what I need without heading into the silly prices of the £4k+ professional cameras, will be the £2,400 new mark. So the cameras I'd probably ideally like would be either a Canon EOS R6 or the Sony A7IV.

I suspect I cannot afford these with a lens right now, so what I'm really researching is the best series to invest lenses in. With my thinking being I might get a second hand body of an older camera in that series (either EOS R or A7II) with a view to upgrading the body later when I can. Or investing in the latest body now with one general lens, with a view to investing in more lenses over time in years to come.

I'm almost settled on trying the Sony range, having been a Canon user for over 15 years, for a change and also because the IV just seems like a very capable camera, with a large range of lenses (which might be cheaper than Canon).

Regarding budget, it's a hard thing to set and I think starting with a budget isn't always practical. In my situation I don't even have £1k to hand right now, but I am prepared to either save or look into credit options. For instance, Canon offer 0% APR which means I could get a new more expensive camera for a manageable £100 / month spread over two years.

Anyway, just to say thanks to everyone for the advice, sorry I've gone off on a slightly different tangent but all of your advice and with further research it has, hopefully, solidified some thinking. I thought it was at least worth sharing this as it might help others in a similar position.

deadtomorrow's gear list:deadtomorrow's gear list
Sony a7 IV
Canon EOS R6 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow