Camera maintenance for fungus prevention after nighttime shooting

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
OP Suman Vajjala Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: Thanks for the tips

RDKirk wrote:

PicPocket wrote:

Suman Vajjala wrote:

I plan to make a simple DIY dry box as a user has suggested.

I think that suggestion was based on a light bulb or similar heating element. It's a good way, but just be careful not to overdo it. Too much heat or dryness is not good for the rubber elements (grips, zoom rings etc). This is also true if you use a dry box and set it to less than 40% humidity level

Notice the specific mention of a low-wattage (20-watt) bulb or heating element. The rod-type gun cabinet heating elements are specifically made for this purpose, as the wooden stocks of expensive rifles are also subject to damage from humidity that is too low.

A significant point--also mentioned--is that the cabinet need not be (and should not be) airtight, which also mitigates any problem from humidity becoming too low.

Thanks so much. I was thinking of using only silica packets in an air tight container. I will consider putting a low watt bulb. I have one question though. Should the bulb be placed a good amount of distance from the camera or can it be close?

Regards

Suman

Suman Vajjala's gear list:Suman Vajjala's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow