Camera maintenance for fungus prevention after nighttime shooting

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
OP Suman Vajjala Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: Make a "Dry Box"

Guy Parsons wrote:

On the make a box theme, I bought a large plastic airtight tools storage box from a hardware store and used large silica gel packs in it. They needed the oven heating treatment maybe every six months. Using a weather indicator it said it kept the box about 40% to 50% range.

Later I spent more money and bought an 82 litre eDry brand dry cabinet, that is set to 40% and keeps things happy. It consumes about 5watts of power so is cheap to run.

Fungus spores are in the air everywhere so there is absolutely no way to avoid them, just make sure that the cameras spend more time in the dry box or cabinet than stored in the usual camera bag and the spores will not develop to become problems.

Thank you so much for the tips. I was planning to make a dry box in exactly the same way you described. I'll invest in a good dehumidifier soon.

The question I have is that if you're on an assignment/vacation where the humidity is high then how do you protect your gear? One user said it'd take atleast 24 hrs of exposure to high humidity to cause fungal growth. Would a good camera bag and silica gel sachets help along with acclimatization?

Regards

Suman

Suman Vajjala's gear list:Suman Vajjala's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow