Z6II, TTL, and Godox flashes

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PeterPawinski Regular Member • Posts: 202
Z6II, TTL, and Godox flashes

Hi!

I got my Z6II in December of last year and shooting it along my D750 dSLRs all season. I use Godox flashes, mainly the TT685 but also one V860II. Both have firmware completely updated. In each case, those flashes in TTL mode work and expose fine on the d750, and are all over the place (usually about 2 stops underexposed) on the z6II. Even when I alter the flash compensation, sometimes the exposure is okay; sometimes it's significantly off in either direction. It's weird. I got the V860II because I read the TT685 firmware didn't support the z6II, or something to that effect, and I thought I had read the V860II would work fine. It does not. To complete the experiment, I've shot the z6II with the Nikon SB-800, and all my exposures are fine, maybe a third of a stop hot at times, but well in the ballpark, nothing like the wild results I get from the Godox flashes, which trend towards massive underexposure, but when compensated get flakey. Those I have to shoot in M at all times when mounted on the z6II to get anything resembling proper exposure and consistency. It's not THAT big a deal, but when distance-to-subject starts moving a lot, or a ceiling I was bouncing off is not there anymore or opens up into a higher ceiling, it's a bit of a pain to change mid-action.

I conclude that those flashes simply don't play well with the z6II. Is there something I'm missing? If not, what Godox flashes do work well with the z6II and TTL, as I like having the Godox mounted since I use off-camera a reasonable amoung?

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow