Lens for Wildlife and People

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stuart Carlton Regular Member • Posts: 189
Lens for Wildlife and People

I have been asked by a friend to suggest a lens for his wife who is interested in photographing wildlife and people. She uses a Canon APS-C crop so has some opportunity for cropping shots. I am assuming from his description so far she wants one lens to cover both, maybe this is a compromise too far but it is all I have to go on at present.

I am therefore looking around at zoom lenses, presumably in the 100-400 range and it is a long time since I was in that market.  Obviously the Canon 100-400 mark 2 springs to mind but are there others I should look at? Price and weight are also a consideration ( I am waiting to hear what budget is available). I thought the Sigma equivalent would be an option but I gather that is Full frame only (is there an alternative?)

Does the Canon 100-400 take a 1.4x extender well? Just considering that for use on wildlife of course.

What other single lens options should I consider?

I will continue me research but if anyone can chip in to point me in the right direction or has observations about my thoughts so far I would be grateful.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow