Free Windows file sync programs? FreeFileSync, etc.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 19,530
Re: Free Windows file sync programs? FreeFileSync, etc.

LynniePad wrote:

Eric Carlson wrote:

LynniePad wrote:

Robocopy has been around for a while, Win7 at least.

Since Windows NT 4.0 resource kit. A really long time ago. It's great for IT work, and for people who grew up using the command line, though not necessarily ideal for people not used to using a command prompt.

Yes, but some early versions were rather limited. I mentioned Win7 because it was likely the first version that many users employed. Wikipedia discusses the history.

I’d suggest that the computer skills required for command line operation are rather less than those required for wrangling LR and PS, and for the many other complex activities often recommended by our correspondents. Craig, for example, makes my head hurt.

Well, I *am* an 'IT Professional'.    But my example at least had comments to explain the settings.

I’ve been using Robocopy for backup since 2019 with good results. There does seem to be some reluctance to use the program, but it’s ideal for my requirements.

The biggest issue I have is one that faces every type of backup program - what happens to deleted files?

In my case I back up multiple folders - one for videos, one for webpages, one for stills, etc, but one of my folders is a temporary holding area while I rate, cull and process before moving the finished files to their permanent location.    I end up old files in backup that were moved or deleted.

My solution is to periodically delete the entire temp holding area folder in the backup and let the next backup repopulate it with whatever is current.   Puts the temp folder contents at risk, so I try to do this cleanup between photo projects.

I could use options to sync files in both directions, so that deleting a file in the source also deletes it in the backup.  I just find that too risky.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow