Camera maintenance for fungus prevention after nighttime shooting

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
OP Suman Vajjala Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: Camera maintenance for fungus prevention after nighttime shooting

PAntunes wrote:

Suman Vajjala wrote:

PAntunes wrote:

Suman Vajjala wrote:

Hi. I have a question regarding a method of camera maintenance for fungus prevention specially after a night of shooting. I saw a suggestion where the camera is recommended to be kept in the sunlight the next day or a few days later. Is that a safe thing to do? Also, should this be done the very next day?

I have on a couple of occasions, pointed the camera lens at the sun for a few seconds to expose the lens elements to sunlight. Is that safe? I have a mirrorless camera. It occurred to me recently that pointing it at the sun may not be such a good idea as the sensor is always exposed. Will such things result in, say, more dead/hot pixels?

If such practices are wrong, then what should one do to prevent fungus formation specially after a night of shooting? What are your best practices?

Also, if I say shoot for an hour or so in the night, can I put my camera back in the bag or should I leave it out in the open until morning? I have been keeping the camera in my bag until now as I have a few silica gel sachets in it. I want to know if that is a good practice.

Apologies if the questions are silly.

Regards

Suman

Why would you do that after a night shoot? Why is it any different from a day shoot?

There could be dew/condensation forming on the camera setup.

And no, don't point the lens directly to the sun with the camera attached.

Oh, I was pointing the lens+camera at the sun for like a 1-2 s just to expose the lens to sunlight I don't remember if the advice was for the lens or lens+camera. It looks like I am doing it wrong.

Regards

Suman

There could be condensation from shooting during the day as well.

I think you're babying your camera a little too much. Unless you live in a very, very humid zone, I'm not sure you need to be that extreme.

I believe that I am babying the camera and I am overthinking things. I just don't want to do something stupid which results in damaging my gear. I had a camera before and the lens/sensor had fungus which was cleaned. That explains my (unnecessary) fear!

Same thing with the camera to the sun for 2sec. If you're doing a landscape photo, you can be 10min just composing the scene with the lens facing the sun and the camera turned on.

So, in summary, facing the sun for short periods should be okay then?

Thanks and regards,

Suman

Suman Vajjala's gear list:Suman Vajjala's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow