Don't trust Angler Fastbox magnetic mount with your flash

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Patrick Murphy Contributing Member • Posts: 964
Re: Don't trust Angler Fastbox magnetic mount with your flash

The original 14-magnet Godox V1/AD100 mount for the Angler FastBox has been discontinued by B&H Photo as of mid-September 2022.

It has been replaced by the new FB-CA adapter. It is thicker (deeper) than the original. It has 6 weaker magnets, plus a locking tab at the top. If you shake the adapter with a Godox V1 or AD100 or Profoto A1 attached, the flash will shake loose a bit from the magnets but the locking tab will keep it from falling out.

I know this because in April 2022 I ordered a kit from B&H that had the 24" Angler FastBox, Godox V1 adapter, and a grid. I received the original V1 adapter with 14 strong magnets.

I personally never had a V1 or AD100 fall off -- maybe I was just lucky. I wanted to get a second one, but for many months the FastBox and V1 adapter was backordered at B&H.

Later, sometime in September, the V1 adapter changed from "Backordered" to "Discontinued."

On September 21 I got an email from B&H saying that the 24" FastBox kit with Godox V1 adapter and grid was again for sale. It had the same model number and price as the April 2022 one I purchased. One photo showed the new FB-CA adapter while another showed the old 14-magnet low-profile adapter -- a bit confusing.

I ordered the kit. It came with the new FB-CA adapter. I personally liked the older one, but I guess this is ok, even if it is about 1" thicker.

As for the flash-falling-out problem, it is good that that has been solved.

(By the way, for the original poster -- if you want to trade your old 14-magnet adapter for my new FB-CA, DM me here at DPReview!)

Old 14-magnet V1 adapter on left. New 6-magnet FB-CA adapter on right. Note how it almost doubles the thickness of the FastBox when folded.

Patrick Murphy's gear list:Patrick Murphy's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony a7R V
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow