Practical application - filters in Africa - video and stills

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stinson
Stinson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,306
Practical application - filters in Africa - video and stills

I am trying to sort out a strategy for shooting video and stills and using an ND filter and what size.

Say that you are on safari, and you approach a spot with cat and cubs.   You have a Z9 with the 100-400 and a Z5 with a 24-200.  It's a bright day.  Max SS ranging from 60-250 depending on frame rate.  ND filter might be good for video, but likely not needed for stills with SS much higher.

Is the only practical solution a magnetic filter, and even that isn't super quick to put on and take off I am guessing. Unless the animals are close enough, I either lose the reach for video or stills depending on the camera.  Also to the Z5 has the 4k crop factor.

Also through in the mix I will likely get a 14-30 a some point, so I have 67,77, and 82mm sizes in play.

So then if you have the magnetic adapter on and you don't use a filter for the moment, you can't really put the lens hood back on without taking the adapter off correct?  Could matter for glare in the bright sun?

Is it just better to get a 77mm, variable ND and assume that will cover most situations and commit to there will be certain scenes devoted to video only?

Practical insights appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for your help, Michael

Stinson's gear list:Stinson's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z MC 105mm F2.8 VR S Nikon Z 100-400mm +4 more
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow