Wildlife videos with Nikon D500 + Nikon 200-500/5.6

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RudyPohl
RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,983
Wildlife videos with Nikon D500 + Nikon 200-500/5.6

Hi folks, I haven't posted anything here is quite some time, but I still have my terrific D500 and Nikon 200-500/5.6 lens and recently I've added video recording to the mix.

I've been saving up my pennies for a good mirrorless camera and lens for doing short wildlife videos. In the meantime I'm working with my trusty D500 and my 200-500/5.6 lens. The D500 has 10-year old technology in it (no auto-focus tracking), but has respectable 4K video sampled at 144 Mbps. Also, with a 1.5x 4K crop on my DX crop sensor the total crop factor is a 2.2x giving me an effective reach of 1100m so I can shoot a lot of pretty distance subjects.

I use the old standard pre-mirrorless, pre-ibis video tools including a tripod, fluid head, manual and back-button focusing, and an external monitor with focus peaking (Atomos Shinobi 5"). I edit in Davinci Resolve 18.

Here is a recent sample which includes some slow motion footage:

If you're interested here's my little youTube channel with some other short wildlife videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthtalk180/videos .

Thanks,
Rudy Pohl

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow