Free Windows file sync programs? FreeFileSync, etc.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
LynniePad
LynniePad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,758
Re: Free Windows file sync programs? FreeFileSync, etc.

ReedW wrote:

LynniePad wrote:

I’ve been using Robocopy for some time now, it’s free, as it’s a built-in Windows program. It runs incremental/cumulative backups, and takes advantage of multi-threading. Typically, adding a day’s work to the backup takes less than a second.

Robocopy has many options/switches and this can be daunting. My configuration is available if you are interested.

Surprisingly, as a long-time user of Windows (since version 2-ish) I've never heard of Robocopy. If you don't mind I'd like to see your configuration setup and I'm sure others would be interested as well.

Robocopy has been around for a while, Win7 at least. I call it “magic” backup.

Run this script as a desktop shortcut…

Robocopy “e:\shared\current files” “f:\data\current files” /e /dcopy:t /MT:8

Drive e: is an internal SATA SSD, while drive f: is an external USB3.1 SSD

/e copies subdirectories, including empty ones.

/dcopy:t maintains identical time-stamps.

/MT:8 enables multi threading.

These options do not delete files in the backup copy, even if they have been deleted from the working copy. Not an issue, considering the way we work.

The initial run takes a while, of course, but subsequent runs takes (typically) seconds. It’s ideal for a particular member of my family who does heaps of word processing. A couple of clicks and everything is saved.

I use a similar version for my photo files. They live on a HDD, so copying is a little slower.

I’m so confident of the stability that I recently used the accumulated backup to set up data on a new server. - “All Good”, as they say.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow