X2D + 38mm as only camera/lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
archnemeswiss New Member • Posts: 16
X2D + 38mm as only camera/lens?

I'm coming off a failed test run with a Leica M11 and one 35mm lens. I'm debating between the X2D + 38mm lens as my only setup to start. The kind of stuff I shoot is I guess "social documentary"-- portraits, lifestyle, travel, "street", light landscape when I'm traveling. I love the 35mm focal length on full frame for some immersive context. I also do love the ~50mm range and enjoy using portrait length lenses for more than just portraits.

I had been drawn to the M due to the small size and solid IQ for a camera to take everywhere with me. But after a short trial my eyeglasses made it really hard to see the 35mm framelines and the Leica diopters wouldn't correct for my astigmatism, which would have made focusing even harder than before. I also realized once I had it with me that I was facing an immense learning curve to get fast with manual focus.

For those of you who've gotten your hands on the X2D, what would you think about it as a one-camera one-lens kit with the 38mm lens? Any immediate hesitations? I've compared the sizes of the body and lens and it is not dramatically different from a Sony A1 with comparable lenses, and in fact the X2D is shorter than an M11 with the Visoflex 2 mounted on top.

I'm also considering a Sony kit with an A1 body and probably a few lenses over there (35, 55, 85). I'd only be able to afford the one lens for the X2D but could happily have lived with a 35mm lens only if the M had worked out for me. I'd considered the Leica SL2-S as well but the size of the X2D is comparable and the benefits are substantial. I'd also kicked around the idea of a GFX100S but am not certain it's the best choice for me.

Eager to hear thoughts from folks on this!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow