JimKasson wrote:

BrandonSi wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

BrandonSi wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

SrMi wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Now all I need is the camera.

Remember to switch to the electronic shutter. Otherwise, the camera will report "No Lens Detected."

Right.

The new Focus Indicator, which replaces focus peaking, does not seem to work with any adapters or third-party lenses (e.g., TTArtisan 90). The only MF assist is the zoom.

That is very bad news.

In theory, with the larger hi-rez EVF @ 1x magnification and the MF zoom, one should be able to just focus by looking and not need additional aids.

I've never seen that be as accurate as peaking plus magnification on any MILC I've tested.

Not excusing the lack of peaking or the new rotational focus indicator, those should be there.. but in practice, my guess is we'll still be able to MF just fine with adapted lenses.

The SL2 series was so good in this regard that I turned off all MF aids completely, and I believe the EVF here on the X2D may actually be larger than in the SL2 series.

You've used the SL2(s)?

No. a7x, a9x, Zx, GFX.

That's surprising to me, I've seen peaking be wildly inaccurate in some implementations, depending on the scene.

When used with magnification? I see no way that peaking can be inaccurate when used properly. It just differentiates and thresholds the scan lines.

Usually at extremes..

Since peaking is detecting contrast, some very fast (or older) lenses that see a significant loss of contrast wide open, combined with a shallow DoF can result in inaccuracy.. A similar issue can be seen stopped down to extremes, contrast increases and the resulting increased DoF can make it difficult to determine the optimal focus area.

For me, personally.. those darn lines just get in my way..  I can't see what I'm trying to focus on!

BrandonSi's gear list:BrandonSi's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Fujifilm X-T4 Leica SL2-S +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
rbf
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow