Another Picture Control Question...

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 24,270
Re: Another Picture Control Question...

Ernie Misner wrote:

Does that do anything for the raw file?

It adds information.

Not all PP software uses this information.

<Edit> I see, you are just trying for a more accurate histogram to better judge the raw file exposure, right?

No.

When working in a considered way the histogram options are available separately for the red green and blue channels, along with potentially burned out higher rates bill based on the 8 bit JPEG image.

Any final decision is best taken in my opinion when opening the RAW file on a high resolution monitor.

Why do I do this?

1/ to get the type of images I prefer

2/ in some scenes the benefit of the sharpening setting can be detected

3/ I obtained a similar benefit with similar Picture Control sharpening settings on the D850 and D500 - when I still owned them. After doing tests I continue with something that works for me with the Z7 and Z9.

Thom clarifies his finding "While it's really difficult to get any repeatable, controlled evidence this creates a difference, it sure seems like a clear difference when I change between Auto (at defaults) and neutral (with considerable sharpening) in a low contrast scene of 1/40, f2 .8, ISO 3200."

As Z AF detectors are on the sensor these would need to sharpen the light they are detecting depending on camera settings to affect focus accuracy in some lighting situations.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is similar to learning to play a piano - it takes some practice to develop some skill.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow