Photography is dying...

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RIPbiker13
RIPbiker13 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Photography is dying...

But it's not! I see so many posts and videos about how cell phones are killing photography, but I don't think that is actually the case. Camera sales continue an upward trend, and manufactures are still producing amazing glass to attach to said cameras.

I think that cell phones have certainly gotten better. The Samsung S22 Ultra and the iPhone Pro Max are first to come to mind. But having these phones doesn't change the fact that we, as photographers, both hobbyist and professionals, still use interchangeable lens systems.

I think back to my childhood, when I would use a disposable 35mm camera on my trips to camp or out playing in general. My father, a professional photographer, shooting weddings and portraits used film. He dabbled in digital when it first started appearing,  but mostly relied on film.

He has an Olympus DSLR that he still uses. His phone obviously works well as a camera and he uses that, but as a photographer, prefers the DSLR as his main device. The real difference is someone life my wife. She doesn't care much about photography outside of snapping pictures to  capture a moment.

For me, and I believe most of us here, we enjoy the art of photography and are trying to better ourselves as artists. Those that just want to snap pictures on their cell phones are not affecting us or killing off our cameras. I think that digital photography as a whole is in a better place now than it has ever been in. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'm seeing.

I think the only real difference now is; people that just want to snap a few photos don't have to buy a dedicated camera do that. I'm wondering if I'm alone in this thinking.

RIPbiker13's gear list:RIPbiker13's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sony a7 IV GoPro Max Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jxh
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow