Unusable images with Canon R5 and 100-500mm RF lens

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photo67 New Member • Posts: 8
Unusable images with Canon R5 and 100-500mm RF lens

Hi!  I made a trip to Alaska this summer and I'm sooo disappointed that many of my images are not usable.  I'm a full time photographer specializing in nature and wildlife.  I've got decades of experience, starting with slide film.  However, my results from this past trip have me stumped.  So many of my brown bear images have an odd result.

The cub on the left appears sharp (although wet, because of course it was raining).  The cub on the right, especially the face, shows the issue I'm having. Some of the images lose their sharpness and look more painterly.  I can't print this large and have it look good.  It's not blur from movement, it's not exposure.  I've never had results like this before, so I'm assuming its either the R5 or the lens.  I did originally have the IS settings wrong when I first started shooting, and sadly many of my distant images are not usable.  After a bit of research, I found I had the tab on the lens on the wrong IS setting.  However, I still can't figure out this issue.  Especially, when most parts of the image are sharp.

Has anyone run into this?  Or does anyone have any thoughts?  I'd be so incredibly grateful if I could find a fix, but I fear that's too much to ask.

PS I am new to zooms.  My fav lens has always been my 500 f4.0.  Also, these are hand held, but at higher ISO, in case that matters.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ali
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow