Motion Blur - What am I doing wrong?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
darioism
darioism New Member • Posts: 2
Motion Blur - What am I doing wrong?

I have a Panasonic Lumix G9 and love it so far, and typically use my Leica 12-60mm f/2.8. I shoot in Aperture priority, normally with the aperture wide open (2.8) and auto ISO (or intelligent ISO). However, I delete over half of my photos taken due to motion blur. I would not consider these shots to be in a "low light" scenario, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Examples below.

I'm annoyed that I can pull out my smartphone with a 2mm lens and take shots just fine in the same light, while my $1,700 camera can't pull it off.

It's clear that the shutter speed is too low, while I have room to breathe in ISO. I know that folks will recommend going full manual mode, but when moving between different lighting scenarios, I can't be futzing with dials, or I'll miss a shot. I'd like if I can rely on a fancy camera to make some decisions. I'd love it if I could modify the decision curve the camera uses, so it would lean towards higher ISO instead of slower shutter speed, but I don't see any settings like this.

How can I take better shots? Might I have some setting wrong on the camera? Thanks in advance.

Example 1: Living room lights on, afternoon sun coming through 3 windows. f/2.8, camera chose 1/4 and ISO 640.

Example 2: Night, but with bright LED lights all around. I'd expect a BIT of motion blur, but not this bad. f/2.8, camera chose 1/4 and ISO 400, which is definitely not what I would have went with.

ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow