Jumping to a full frame Z, what to keep, what to sell?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP CrankAddict New Member • Posts: 20
Re: I was completely wrong about DX crop mode and a question about 70-200 for macro...

LarsHP wrote:

Regarding the types of autofocus challenges you will face in the various things you photograph, I highly doubt you will experience any issues with a Nikon Z6 or Z7 camera. Particularly if you already have good results with your current setup.

So, try not to laugh, my action shooting method is extremely rudimentary.  I use spot focus and generally just have the spot and subject in the center and do my framing later via a crop.  If it's something I have more time to anticipate, I might move the spot elsewhere, but generally it stays put.  I got into the habit of doing this since I never had decent results with any of the auto/smart modes.  Granted, this was back in the D70 and D200 days, but I guess the old habits just stuck.  Bottom line, any of this "the camera knows what you want to do" kind of stuff would be all uncharted territory for me, so I probably won't be too hard to impress.  That said, if one system is "exceptional" and another is "good", I suppose I'd rather go for the better of the two if I'm starting from scratch.

On the macro stuff, you mentioned that I wouldn't need beyond 1:1.  If we take an average watch case to be around 40mm, I can see how I wouldn't need more than 1:1 if I'm taking a shot of the entire watch.  But there are some great shots which show a single marker on the dial, with a hand above casting a shadow, or which just focus on the brand name on the dial, things like that.  In those cases, the subject is more like 10mm x 10mm, so on a FF sensor, wouldn't a 1.4:1 be preferable to a 1:1?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow