Jumping to a full frame Z, what to keep, what to sell?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP CrankAddict New Member • Posts: 20
Re: I was completely wrong about DX crop mode and a question about 70-200 for macro...

olyflyer wrote:

The 105/2.8GVR is a very nice lens. I have used it on my D300s and the D800 also during many years, but sold it when I bought the Z7 back in 2018 because I figured it was too heavy, and since the Z7 has IBIS, through that, the 60/2.8G macro lens also gets stabilized. The 60/2.8G is actually optically better than the 105/2.8GVR, but the working distance is shorter. That is no problem for me, but many people want more distance. In fact, I used both for jewellery and insects, but found that in reality, the longer working distance was more of a problem for me than the shorter, so because of that, while I had the D800, the last years I used the 60 more than the 105. For portraits the 105 is much better. Now I only have the 60, some times I miss the 105, but most of the times not.

Yeah I honestly figured I'd be a Nikon guy forever.  I never thought there would be an even remotely practical time to "make a clean break".  But it seems this Z mount scenario is presenting me with that option, so I feel compelled to do a little more due diligence before committing.  Your comment about the IBIS reminded me of something I was reading yesterday.  It seems that Nikon is relying more heavily on IBIS and thus not including it in the new lenses (e.g. the 24-70 f/2.8), whereas Cannon is using IBIS + IS in their RF lenses and when the body + lens systems combine, the result is more significant (like 8 extra stops versus 4-5).  That sounds significant, but it's one of the many things I need to try to evaluate to understand if it would be impactful to me personally.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow