Another Picture Control Question...

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP John Retsal Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: Another Picture Control Question...

j_photo wrote:

John Retsal wrote:

I've asked a couple questions here and got, for the most part, some good replies. I've also been reading many other threads and I think I've just about closed in on what I need to to.

I want to run this by you folks first though.

OK, so, I'm not a heavy post-processing guy. I've got a couple custom Picture Controls that I like and would likely be applying to 90+% of the raw images I shoot. My question is this...

As I understand it, using a neutral or better, flat, Picture Control set in the camera, would allow me to better see whether or not, at the time of taking the shot, I need to adjust exposure. If I were to use a different one, say Standard or Auto, I may see in the EVF an image that I might think I need to bump the exposure on whereas in reality it didn't need that but rather it was the Picture Control that was using too much contrast and making it look that way.

Does that make sense?

Wow, there are a lot of confusing replies in this thread.

Changing picture control changes what you see in the viewfinder, and along with that, changes the histogram that is displayed. You are looking at a jpeg file, with the picture control settings baked in, even when shooting raw.

This can lead to changes in how you or the camera adjusts exposure. For example, with the same actual settings (aperture, shutter speed, and iso), an image taken with the Vivid pc might appear to blow out highlights when the same image taken with the Flat or Neutral pc might not. Generally, the Flat or Neutral pc images will more closely reflect the raw histogram than will the Vivd pc image. So if you are trying to take full advantage of the dynamic range of the raw file, it's easier to evaluate exposure with a flatter, lower contrast pc than with a punchier, higher contrast pc.

I hope that's helpful!

Yes!  Finally a clear reply.  Thank you!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow