X2D 100 ordered

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
BrandonSi Regular Member • Posts: 176
Re: X2D 100 ordered

Dirk67 wrote:

I placed an order for the X2D but canceled it later on and will keep my GFX100s.

Here are my personal reasons and you may disagree.

I liked the smaller size and less weight of the X1D. That advantage is now gone. The weight is almost identical, size has increased as well. The built quality of the X2D is probably amazing. Only weaknesses on the X1D were the electronics/firmware and the viewfinder rubber.

I have to admit that I really like the flexibility of the 35-70mm GF lens. It suits my needs really well. I like to travel light and this lens, despite the weaker, but still good performance wide open, is really great for that. I usually stop down to f8 at least for urban landscape and I couldn't see a difference to the prime lenses. And even if there would be minor differences visible, I would still go with that lens. I hope Hasselblad will look into small zooms as well. It will nicely fit with the overall walkability promise of the camera.

When I take portraits I really like to have face detection.

I don't like to use Phocus but prefer C1. So far I have not seen any announcement of integration.

People dismiss the built quality of the GFX100s. Actually it is well built. It is not a solid brick like the Leica M or the Hasselblad X cameras. But it is well made and so far I had no trouble. I would say that it even feels more like a camera than the X1D. I also like the eInk screen on the GFx. That way you can check on settings without pressing any buttons. Don't know what Hasselblad didn't go for that.

So why did I even place the order? I have to say that I like the design a lot and the programmable lens ring. The ring brings back some of the haptics that I missed on the X1D. But I got too spoiled by the convenience of the 35-70mm lens that I don't want to go back to three primes. I know, that doesn't sound too Pro, but I actually do print very large and exhibit those photos in galleries.

That's fair, and I hear you on the zoom.. I think the XCD 35-75 is great though. I almost entirely stopped using my XCD primes after I got that lens, but I also have the 907x and I think the new 38 XCDV will pair with that nicely, almost a fully modern SWC.

Eye/Face detection are coming.. just a matter of time.

Agree with you on C1, but I've actually been getting along well with Lightroom CC (not classic, gasp!) this year, so it's not a deal-breaker for me.

The GFX100s is a great camera but the design / aesthetics of it bothered me. It was like shooting with a VCR, if that makes any sense. Bulky, black, sharp angles, nondescript looking lenses. It wasn't retro enough to be retro, and it wasn't modern enough to be unique or interesting. It was like 1992 spit out a MF digital camera.

The images were great, and I love the Fuji JPG / recipe stuff... but I'd just look at it and not even want to pick it up in the first place.

I love my X-T4 and X-T1, but I think part of what I enjoy with them is the portability and small package they represent.

Sorry to hear you canceled your order but sounds like it was the right call for you!

BrandonSi's gear list:BrandonSi's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Fujifilm X-T4 Leica SL2-S +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
rbf
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow